Inset: Darel Hernandez Vargas (Wallingford Police Department). Background: The Connecticut Walmart where Vargas allegedly beat another man unconscious (Google Maps).
A man in Connecticut is accused of beating another man unconscious, allegedly attacking the victim in a Walmart parking lot after accusing him of using his cellphone to take photos of a child.
Darel Hernandez Vargas was taken into custody this week and charged with one count each of second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, and breach of peace, authorities announced.
Love true crime? Sign up for our newsletter, The Law&Crime Docket, to get the latest real-life crime stories delivered right to your inbox.
According to a press release from the Wallingford Police Department, officers responded to a Walmart in the 800 block of North Colony Road at about 9:39 p.m. on July 25 regarding a reported assault. Upon arriving, first responders found an adult male who appeared to be suffering from severe injuries to his head and face.
After initially being treated at the scene by paramedics, the victim sought additional medical treatment for “serious facial and head injuries,” police wrote.
Investigators said that Vargas was with a juvenile family member when he “confronted” the victim, whom Vargas believed “had been taking photographs of the juvenile with his cellular phone.”
Police said the encounter quickly turned violent.
“Vargas allegedly struck the victim in the head, knocking him to the ground,” the release states. “While the victim was on the ground, Vargas allegedly struck him again before kicking him in the face, rendering him unconscious.”
Vargas and the juvenile left the area immediately after the alleged attack, police said.
Investigators said they were able to identify Vargas as the assailant through surveillance footage and other investigative work. A warrant for his arrest was issued on Aug. 18.
Vargas turned himself in to police, according to a report from Hartford, Connecticut, Fox affiliate WTIC. He was being held on a $15,000 bond, which he posted, and was released. He is scheduled to appear in Meriden Superior Court on Aug. 27 for his arraignment, records show.
The post Man beaten unconscious outside Walmart after being accused of taking photos of a child: Police first appeared on Law & Crime.
