A security incident at President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida ended in a fatal shooting early Sunday morning, after an armed individual breached the property’s secure perimeter.
According to U.S. Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi, the intruder entered the grounds around 1:30 a.m. by driving through a gate just as another vehicle was exiting, according to Fox 8 Live.
The suspect has been identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, from North Carolina. Law enforcement sources reportedly noted that Martin had been reported missing by his family several days prior.
Investigators suspect he acquired a shotgun during his trip south; a box for the firearm was later discovered inside his vehicle.
U.S. Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said Martin also had a gas can.
The breach occurred at the resort’s north gate, where two Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy incercepted Martin.
Sheriff Ric Bradshaw detailed the final moments of the encounter during a press briefing.
“He was ordered to drop those two pieces of equipment that he had with him, at which time he put down the gas can, raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” Bradshaw said, “At that point in time, the deputy and the two Secret Service agents fired their weapons and neutralized the threat.”
The reported assailant was “deceased at the scene,” according to Bradsaw.
President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were not present at the Florida club during the incident. Both were at the White House in DC, according to Fox 8 Live.
The FBI is leading the ongoing investigation. Director Kash Patel stated on X that updates will be provided as they become available.
The “FBI is dedicating all necessary resources to the investigation of this morning’s incident at President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago.” Patel said.
“We will continue working closely with SecretService as well as our state and federal partners.”
Currently, investigators are developing a psychological profile of the suspect and trying to determine a specific motive.
They are reviewing local security footage. Residents near the resort are asked to provide any relevant recordings.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back for updates.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Feature Photo: FILE- The Mar-a-Lago resort owned by President-elect Donald Trump in Palm Beach, Fla., is seen Nov. 21, 2016. As the Justice Department’s probe into former President Donald Trump’s handling of White House materials deepens, lawmakers of both parties have more questions than answers. The search of Trump’s private club is unprecedented for a former president. Intelligence officials have offered to brief congressional leaders possibly as soon as next week. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)]


